February 16, 2012

{ Haircare } Questions Answered Part 1

Hi Readers and happy Thursday! I hope everyone enjoyed your Valentine's Day any way you celebrate. Luckily I refrained from an overindulgence of chocolate that is usually associated with the holiday, but I did eat my fair share of Marbled Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies. I apologize for the lack of posts this week. I've been ill and I am now beginning to recover.

Here is the follow-up to this post where I'll share the haircare products that I use. To give a brief history; my natural hair journey started in April 2005 when I big chopped my hair. There wasn't much of a transition period as I made up my mind that I wanted all of the relaxed hair gone. Fast forward to November 2011 when I finally found the right products and techniques to use in order for me to properly care for my natural hair.

I've listed the products in the order in which they are used. This is the result of years of trial and error and I still have so much to learn.


Haircare Routine


1. Ouidad 12-Minute Deep Treatment: I've tried many deep treatments before, but this one really softens my hair. I use this product before I shampoo and usually leave it on for up to one day. I was lucky enough to purchase this on a sample sale site for $18.

2. Shea Moisture Organic African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo: I purchased this from Target after spotting it on an end cap (they always seem to suck me in!). It helps with an itchy scalp which I've had for as long as I can remember. It also smells yummy!

3. Ojon Damage Reverse Restorative Shampoo: I received a full-size sample of this shampoo from Sephora last year. I have never used a shampoo that softens my hair while I wash. Shampoos usually leave my hair feeling stripped or filmy which isn't good for healthy hair.

4. Ojon Damage Reverse Restorative Conditioner: Also received this as a full-size sample from Sephora. Just like its counterpart, this conditioner leaves my hair feeling extremely moisturized and detangling is a snap. I love both products so much, I don't think I will switch to anything else. Unless I could get a sample of Ouidad to try, but I think the competition would be stiff.

5. Ouidad Moisture Lock Leave-In Conditioner: This leave-in conditioner has become an essential part of my detangling and moisturizing routine. I apply a generous amount before detangling on damp hair. It doesn't leave my hair heavy with product, but there is definitely a noticeable difference in the texture. I highly recommend this product to anyone who needs a little extra moisture.

6. Aveda Smooth Infusion Glossing Straightner: I use this product prior to straightening my hair with a blow dryer and again prior to flat ironing, if I choose. After flat ironing, my hair is really straight and shiny. There hasn't been a product that works as well for me.

7. Aveda Smooth Infusion Style Prep Smoother: This is used after I blow dry my hair or after using the flat iron. It seals the cuticle to prevent hair from getting to frizzy, especially in humid climates like Florida.

8. Desert Essence Jojoba Oil: This oil has many benefits: antibacterial and perfect for hair and skincare since it is similar to our sebum, just to name a few. I use this after I've blow dried my hair and as I'm twisting my hair to air dry. It leaves my hair very soft and shiny without a greasy residue.

9. Josie Maran Argan Oil: This is more of a wishlist item as I haven't actually tried it yet. My jojoba oil is down to a few drops, so I'll give this a try to see how well it works on my hair. I've also found a less expensive alternative to Josie Maran's oil on Skinstore.

Straightening Tools

1. Round Styling Brush: I use this brush when I'm blow drying my hair. I only use this brush after my hair has been completely detangled and separated into sections. I've significantly cut back on heat styling my hair to prevent any heat damage it may cause. 

2. T3 Featherweight Luxe Hairdryer: My actual hairdryer is by Conair that I bought from Target over 6 years ago, and I'm now in the market for a new one. I've narrowed down my choice to the T3 for its claim of faster drying time and the added diffuser attachment. 

3. Sephora Collection Tourmaline Flat Iron: I'm also ready to replace my antiquated flat iron from earlier this century (yes, it is that old). I couldn't find it anywhere online so, I thought I would share something I would consider buying. I'm still on the fence with this one, a CHI Air Expert or a ghd Classic

Here are a few blogs and Youtube channels that I subscribe to that I use as resources or inspiration:

Please leave a comment to share any recommendations on flat irons or any haircare blogs/resources you might enjoy.

I hope everyone has a wonderful evening! Thanks for reading!

-K


nrelate

rewardStyle Tracking

Google Analytics

dropdown navbar

Pin It button on image hover